Configuring the 3CX Clients
3CX Version 15
3CX includes a softphone & client that allows users to easily manage their extension with a few mouse clicks – rather than via a cryptic and limited hardware phone interface. The client can work alongside an existing supported IP phone or you can use the inbuilt softphone which is available for multiple platforms including Windows, Android, iOS and Mac. The client provides the following functions:
- Call Pop-up – Upon receiving a call, 3CX client will allow you to answer or reject the call, transfer the call to another person or to voice mail - with a single mouse click or by using drag and drop.
- Easy Call Transfer / Park – Transfer or park a call with a mouse click or via drag and drop, no need to learn dial codes or call transfer procedures on a phone.
- Presence – View statuses of other extensions and avoid unnecessary calls.
- Click to Call – Colleagues, numbers in web pages or contacts in CRM software.
- Hot key Dialling – Place/control calls using configurable keyboard shortcuts.
- Queue Monitoring – View the status of queues that you are a member of or a manager.
- Call Monitoring - See callers waiting in queue and be able to pick up a call.
- Text Chat – Message other users one to one or create multi user chat.
- Record Calls – You can record a call by clicking the record button.
- Phonebook – 3CX client provides easy access to the company and personal phonebooks.
Softphone or CTI (Call Control via IP Phone) Mode
3CX can run in two different call control modes:
- Softphone – Allows you to make and receive calls on your computer or mobile device without using a deskphone. It uses a built in SIP engine to place the calls and uses the device’s microphone and speakers. In softphone mode 3CX can handle up to 5 simultaneous calls and supports blind and attended transfer.
- CTI Mode (Call control via supported IP Phone - Windows only) – Calls are setup on the IP Phone registered to the extension. The number shows up on the IP phone’s display and hear the standard ringback tones.
- To use CTI Mode, you must disable multiple inbound calls. Check that in “Extension settings” > “Forwarding rules” > “Available” status, the option “Accept Multiple Calls” is not enabled.
- CTI Mode can only be used on the local LAN or behind a 3CX SBC.
- CTI mode works only with supported phones. Unsupported phones can use the so called “MakeCall” functionality - it has limitations and breaks call reporting. Not recommended.
The 3CX client is installed via the Apple App Store for iOS devices, Google Play for Android devices, as a DMG file for Mac OS or an MSI file for Windows. The installation links are sent in the user's welcome email together with the configuration file as an attachment. For easy reference:
You can deploy the 3CX client for Windows via active directory. You must also deploy the “Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86” msi package on x86 and x64 clients.
After the user has installed the corresponding 3CX client version, it must be provisioned with the user’s extension settings. To do this, ask the user to:
- Ensure the app or application has been installed.
- Open up the welcome email.
- Double-click or tap on the attachment. The 3CX client will then automatically configure itself and connect to 3CX Phone System.
The welcome email is sent automatically when the extension is created. To resend it:
- Log in to the 3CX Management Console and go to the “Extensions” node.
- Select the extension and click the “Send Welcome Email” button at the top toolbar.
- An email will be sent to the extension’s configured email address along with an attachment for auto-provisioning.
Managing the 3CX clients
You can configure what options are available in the 3CX client per extension from the extension configuration:
- In the 3CX management console, go to the “Extensions” node.
- Select the extension and click “Edit.”
- Go to the “Phone Provisioning” tab and select the 3CX client from the “Your phones” drop down.
- Now you can configure the options explained below.
- Click “OK” when done.
- Network interface for registration and provisioning - Select on which network the client connects in case your server has multiple network cards.
- SIP Transport - Select preferred SIP transport.
- RTP Mode - Select whether to encrypt traffic or not (only works with other 3CX Clients at present).
- DTMF Mode - Select how to detect DTMF, leave default.
- Enable PUSH for smartphones - send push requests to this extension.
- Re-provision phone on Startup - By default, Windows, Mac and Android clients will apply settings on next startup.
- Use 3CX Tunnel for remote connections - Configures 3CX client to use the 3CX Tunnel for the “Out of Office” connection to 3CX Phone System rather than connecting directly via STUN/SIP port of the pbx.
- Default View - Softphone (dial pad) or Unified Comms (presence).
- Call Control - Softphone or IP Phone (CTI).
- Block use of 3CX client - Removes the user's ability to use 3CX client.
- Hide Forwarding Rules - Removes the user's ability to configure his/her forwarding rules. These options will only be available from within the 3CX Management Console.
- Show Call Recordings - Allows users to see their call recordings.
- Allow Deletion of Recordings - Allows users to delete call recordings.
Updating 3CX for Windows and Mac
Updates to the 3CX client for Windows and Mac are deployed automatically via the 3CX Phone System Server. When a new update is available on the 3CX Website, the 3CX Phone System Server downloads the update for the 3CX client then notifies the users. If a user has an out-dated 3CX client, upon starting it they will be shown a message informing them that a new version is available:
Once the user accepts the update, the downloader will start and download the new installation of 3CX client. After the file has finished downloading, the new client will be installed automatically and 3CX client will restart on its own to complete.
Updating 3CX for iOS and Android
The Android and iOS clients update automatically through the Google Play store and the Apple App Store (depending on whether automatic update is activated) when they detect a newer version of the client online.